Thursday, September 23, 2010

As expected...

Here are some of the fashions that can already be added to the list:

1) Abercrombie & Fitch- Abercrombie isn't exactly bargain shopping in the U.S., but there aren't stores here, so it's all imported and EXPENSIVE. Point being, if you're wearing A & F, it is a major status symbol. I see soooooo much Abercrombie in the hallways it's ridiculous.

2) Franklin & Marshall- This took a little investigative work. I kept seeing kids with F&M sweatshirts, t-shirts, gym bags, etc., and I found myself thinking, there is just no way that half of Greece has an affiliation with F&M! Anyone out there who goes/went to F&M, please, I genuinely want to know if there is some sort of Greek... program? errr intrigue? Large population? at your school. But, upon previously stated investigation, I found this: http://www.choicestore.co.uk/view/brands/franklin-marshall/
So, it seems that there is a snazzy clothing brand inspired by F & M or something like that. If everyone out there is reading this, shaking their heads, and saying, Oh ho! How silly that she didn't know that. Everyone knows that!then I apologize for my lack of hipness, but this was confounding for me.

3) The Evil Eye- There are many ways that various cultures ward off the Evil Eye. Mom and Aunt Connie have tied endless red ribbons around my bags and body during travel, Grandma apparently had some ritual with a dish of olive oil, Italy has the crooked horn, and Greece and other Mediterranean countries have the actual eye icon that you've probably seen before. Evil Eye jewelry is essential to an outfit. Men, don't despair, you can carry Evil Eye worry beads or don a manly necklace or bracelet. Alina, our program advisor, gave all of the girls Evil Eye bracelets that she had hand made as a welcome gift! Anyway, it's just everywhere. I already feel weird if I go out without wearing something with the Evil Eye on it. Quite the habit.

2 comments:

sharona said...

Living in the financial district, you'd expect I'd get questions about directions to the NYSE, the Statue of Liberty, etc., but no, more than anything else, I've been asked (mostly by European people) where the Abercrombie and Fitch is. It's definitely a tourist destination!

Mandee said...

That is hilarious!!! And it now makes soooo much sense! I hope you send them to the one at the Seaport. That one's pretty cool.